Saturday, December 3, 2011

Craft room makeover

Let me take you through my craft room make over. I realized that in order to make my creations I needed to be in an appropriate space which inspired me.


My inspiration for my craft room was my logo. Pink Pink and more pink!!!

BEFORE , This was not inspiring!! Sky blue walls and yellow molding around the entire room. Here's just a pic of one wall. blah...on the right corner you can see a piece of my desk and chair which will also be updated in distressed white look! I couldn't have completed the room without my husband and Bestie

We first started with painting the walls hot pink!! It's amazing how many shades of pink there are!! I actually had a tough time picking!! Can you imagine?! My husband was frustrated with me and all my pink swatches! haha

AFTER, PINK PINK PINK!!!
Notice the attempt of better organization! haha

Sand paper the table and pain antique white, let dry and sand paper away to get that distressed look. I try to really work in corners of the table for a natural worn look. Afterward you put a coat of glaze on top to seal.

TADA!!!




Here's the pics of my chairs and sewing machine after I painted and distressed them.


Of course they weren't finished yet. I needed cushions to add to the seat. I normal person might just buy chair cushion but I wanted to make mine. It was a little tough but I just winged it. I just traced the chair bottom and estimated how much to cut. I do that a lot but it works for me. All you need is a pencil tissue paper and scissors!! I got cheap fabric from Joann's. Used 2 different types of pink fabric with different designs.






I wanted to add ruffle to the pillow!!




Finished cushion!!




Window treatments next....





Found simple eyelit fabric from Joannes and did an easy straight stitch casing. Used a cheap rod and got my husband to hang it!!



detail of the eyelit fabric I scored!




I bought gingham drapes from kids pottery barn outlet for under $20 bucks each.





Next was lighting! I def wanted something girly so opted for a black chandelier from IKEA. It was only 40 bucks!! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90098200/


Although the black looked sleek and clean, I wanted to dress up my chandelier by adding shades to it. Rather then spending $15-$20 on decorated shades I cut corners and did it myself. I went to Lowes for $3 dollar shades then I went to Joann Fabrics for Toile Fabric in black and white.










I first made a shade pattern from the shades by just tracing the lampshade right on tissue paper. You have to roll the shade on its side and follow along with your pencil. Once you do that you want to then give it 1/2 inch allowance and trace again. This will give you room to tuck fabric in the lampshade.




Pin tissue pattern on fabric and cut. Simple!




After all pieces are cut you now need to bond the fabric on the lampshade. I opted to use Elmers Craft Bond although I don't think it was the greatest product. I would have like something stronger. I found I had to go over with hot glue gun so that there was no puckering.




Finished lampshades!! You can add trim to the lampshades if you want! I decided to keep it plain fabric.


Chandelier final cost for lampshades $25 total cost for lighting $65!! Can't beat it!!




The room is almost complete I just need to put my dressforms in the craft room displaying my tutus!!






2 comments: